Question:
Why did Theseus and Perithous try to kidnap Persephone from the Under World and what happened to them?
2006-03-09 16:52:12 UTC
Why did Theseus and Perithous try to kidnap Persephone from the Under World and what happened to them?
Four answers:
onefiestygrrl2u
2006-03-10 09:00:34 UTC
Perithous wanted Persephone for himself. So because of the bond of freindship that Theseus pledged to him, he went to help him. The two got trapped by Hades, god of the Underworld who had no intention of letting his wife, Persephone, go. Theseus was rescued by Heracles, but Perithous was left to eternal torment in the Underworld for his brashness.

From what I've read, winter is caused by Demeter's sorrow over the loss of her daughter Persephone, who was kidnapped and taken to the underworld and held against her will by Hades. (Hades is also known as Pluto) The gods came to an agreement where Persephone can return to Demeter nine months of the year, but had to go back to the underworld for 3 months of the year.
Kenlas
2006-03-09 23:09:43 UTC
no man, sorry, but you're mixed up.

Deadalus built the wings for himself and Icarus so they could escape Crete. King minos was holding Deadalus so he could make the labrynth for the minotaur. Icarus flew too close to the sun.

I don't know about why those two tried to kidnap Persephone from Pluto though. Sorry about that. By the way, Persephone is a woman, daughter of Ceres who was kidnapped by Pluto and is associated with the cause of winter.
freakyanomaly
2006-03-15 02:12:10 UTC
Those 2 guys tried to rescue Persephone because her mother said whoever was able to save her would get to marry Persephone and be king of... something. I think they both got stuck in the underworld and stayed there forever.
John C
2006-03-09 16:54:15 UTC
Because they wanted to save him.... from death.

They got sent to this island where the minator was after them....

It was a maze that was inescapable... they couldn't get out.

But Theseus was smart and built some wings. Perithous flew to high and the wax holding them on melted and he plummeted to his doom.

That or I'm mixing my methology again.