Question:
Where is troy located..is it historically true..and does the wall of troy that big like in the movies.?
anubis_memnon
2006-04-10 01:54:53 UTC
or its just a simple wall....high enough to keep enemies out..
Eight answers:
Puck
2006-04-10 02:25:10 UTC
I did a little research for you, I hope this helps:

TROY

CULTURAL STRATA

TROY I. (3000-2500 B.C.)

The first inhabitants of Troy built their houses on a 16 m. high, indigeneous rock at the western end of the ridge. The city was fortified by a wall made of rough stones. Today we can see only a short segment of this wall, some 12 m. long, and the main gate with two square towers. The thickness of the fortification wall is about 2.50 m. The other remains of the first Troy we can see today are some foundations of houses in Schliemann's north-south trench. These houses were long believed to be megaron houses. But according to the latest research they do not have megaron plans. Manfred Korfmann, the head of the latest excavation team, who cleared the trench and made some reconstructions there in 1988, calls them "row of long houses". "Megarons", the prototype of the Greek temples, were freestanding hauses consisting of a single room with an entrance hall. But these long and narrow houses, which were built of mudbricks over stone foundations, were not free standing houses. Some of them had the entrance in the corner. The stone foundation walls of some of these houses were built in herrinbone style. Although this type of workmanship is seen in Mesopotamia too, there was no direct influence since it was already known all over Anatolia and can be seen even today on the walls of some Turkish houses. We can also see the same design very often in the ceramics of Troy I.

We do not know much about the building technique but we think the fish bone designs on their ceramics show us that the artisans might well be influenced by their daily life. Fishing was a very important occupation for the first inhabitants of Troy. A fishing hook made of copper, which was found recently in the ruins of Troy I, strengthens this opinion.

In one of these long houses go infant burials were found just beneath the floor. One of them was in a shallow pit covered by a flat stone, the other one was in an urn. More examples of the same type of burial have been uncovered in open spaces in the city, but no adult burials were encountered in the acropolis. This can be explained by children's need for protection. They believed that babies, especially new-born babies, needed protection even after death. This is why babies were buried in the houses or in the gardens, and adults outside the city walls.

The Early Bronze Age inhabitants of Troy I made their tools of copper, stone and bone. Stone vessels and pottery were in constant use. All pots were shaped by hand, without the use of the potter's wheel. Some spindle whorls and loom weights have been found, showing that spinning and weaving were familiar occupations for these natives of north western Asia Minor.

Troy I, which had ten building phases, was eventually wiped out by a great fire.
Red Yellow Feet
2006-04-10 10:00:08 UTC
Troy, ancient city of Asia Minor, also called Ilionor, in Latin,Ilium; known from Homer's account of the Trojan War in the Iliad. Excavations by Heinrich Schliemann and others identified the site of the ancient city as the mound called Hissarlik, in Asian Turkey. It was established as a Phrygian city, with a culture dating from the Bronze Age.

-------

If I recall correctly the site referred to above has had at least seven cities on that particular site. I believe archeologists have determined that Helen of Troy was an actual person living in the third incarnation of the city of Troy. It was the usual practice for cities that had been sacked for the walls that had been breached by the enemy to be built up even higher, thicker and stronger than the previous embattlements.
ichybeard
2006-04-10 09:03:40 UTC
Hollywood movies are so so so bad for teaching you history. They are so inaccurate. However, Troy was a real place and it was in Greece. Nobody really knows for sure about the Trojan horse, whether it was myth or true. It is true in as much as it is a genuine legend (not a Hollywood story) but I haven't seen the movie so don't know how accurate it was. I would suspect NOT VERY. As for the wall, again I haven't seen the movie so I can't compare.

[edit] in response to above answer, it was definitely Greece but Greece then and Greece now almost certainly have different borders. Turkey is next to Greece and I don't know for sure so Troy could be in what is now Turkey but my guess would be that this is incorrect. However it is just a guess although it is tough in schools here and nobody ever said it is now Turkey.
shands
2006-04-10 11:40:23 UTC
There was an archeologist in the 1920's who found a site on the coast of Turkey (near Gallipoli) that was supposed to be Troy. He said that there were about 12 civilizations on that spot and the Troy of the legends is about seven layers down.

Dont even get me started on the inaccuracies of the movie. Its all soooo mixed up. And they invented that chick for Brad Pitt to shag, even though the achilles of legend was vicious and raped pretty much everything he killed on the battlefield. He was a little mixed up the poor dude. But I'm so excited because i get to visit Troy in September. they have a replica horse there and everything!
irish_owen09
2006-04-12 01:22:46 UTC
Definitely in Turkey. I believe it is just south of the Dardanelles Strait. The whole movie is fake. There were no underground tunnels and the walls were most likely just high enough to keep enemies out. The archaeologist was Heinrich Schliemann (he also found Mycenae).
auntb93again
2006-04-10 11:32:32 UTC
Asia Minor, now Turkey. I remember reading that a real archaeologist did in fact find it, and prove it was substantially as Homer had depicted. However, I don't know how close to Homer, or to the archaeological finds, the movie's depiction of the walls of Troy. I realize they were understood to be especially strong and impregnable for their day. That aspect -- the king's (or rather the general's) confidence in its impregnability, for example -- was part of the movie, as I recall.
k.batsola
2006-04-10 09:01:21 UTC
it is located in asia minor today known as turkey.it was historically true but not as the movie presents it.i don't know about the wall.
2006-04-10 08:56:04 UTC
just like the movie,,,,,,,,,,,.....